CAPACITY BUILDING IN HIGHER EDUCATION
The Capacity Building in Higher Education (CBHE) action supports international cooperation projects based on
multilateral partnerships between organisations active in the field of higher education. It supports the relevance,
quality, modernisation and responsiveness of higher education in third countries not associated to the Erasmus +
programme for socio-economic recovery, growth and prosperity and reacting to recent trends, in particular economic
globalisation but also the recent decline in human development, fragility, and rising social, economic and environmental
inequalities exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic.
The action is expected to contribute to the overarching priorities of the European Commission: the Green Deal
(including climate change, environment and energy), digital transformation and data technologies, alliances for
sustainable growth and jobs, migration partnerships, and governance, peace and security and to the external dimension
of EU internal policies in the field of education. It will support a successful green and sustainable global economic
recovery in the third countries not associated to the Erasmus + programme, linked to the Sustainable Development
Goals (SDGs) and the Paris Agreement.
The activities and outcomes of CBHE projects must be geared to benefit the eligible third countries not associated to
the programme, their higher education institutions and systems.
OBJECTIVES OF THE ACTION
Specifically, the action will:
- Improve the quality of higher education in third countries not associated to the programme and enhance its relevance for the labour market and society;
- Improve the level of competences, skills and employability potential of students in HEIs in the third countries not associated to the programme by developing new and innovative education programmes;
- Promote inclusive education, equality, equity, non-discrimination and the promotion of civic-competences in
higher education in the third countries not associated to the programme;
- Enhance the teaching, assessment mechanisms for HEI staff and students, quality assurance, management, governance, inclusion, innovation, knowledge base, digital and entrepreneurial capacities, as well as the internationalisation of HEIs in the third countries not associated to the programme;
- Increase the capacities of HEIs, bodies in charge of higher education and competent authorities of third
countries not associated to the programme to modernise their higher education systems, particularly in terms of governance and financing, by supporting the definition, implementation and monitoring of reform processes;
- Improve the training of teachers and continuous professional development in order to impact the longer term
quality of the education system in the third countries not associated to the programme;
- Stimulate cooperation of institutions, capacity building and exchange of good practice;
- Foster cooperation across different regions of the world through joint initiatives.
For more specific details refer to Erasmus+ Programme Guide 2022: https://erasmus-plus.ec.europa.eu/sites/default/files/2022-01/2022-erasmusplus-programme-guide-v2_en_0.pdf